There are around 1.3 billion Windows users around the world. Microsoft is about to launch their Windows 10 operating system on July 29. One of its main features is a built-in Bing search box on the task bar. This search box is actually connected to Bing as it displays results when making a search. With this feature, Bing will gain more users and it will drastically change the way we optimize our websites. This lead us to the question, is your website optimized for Bing?
When it comes to SEO, most of us would think about Google. But how do you optimize your website for Bing and Yahoo! search engines? Yahoo! search engine is actually powered by Bing. Therefore, if your website is optimized for Bing, then your website is also visible in Yahoo! In this article, we will outline the relevance of Bing and Yahoo! and an overview of tools for these search engines.
Relevance of Bing
- Globally, Bing and Yahoo! have 6.5% market share and Google has over 90%.
- In Switzerland, you only have to optimize for Google. It has 95% market share and 4% for Bing and Yahoo!
- In US you have to optimize for Bing. Bing and Yahoo have more than 18% of market share and Google has 80%
SEO Tools for Bing
Bing actually offers SEO tools similar to Google:
- Bing Webmaster Tool – this is similar to Google Webmaster Tools, which is now Google Search Console. Bing Webmaster Tool offers features like sitemap, search keywords report (similar to Search Queries report in Google Webmaster Tools, and fetch as Bingbot (similar to Fetch as Google in Google Search Console).
- Keyword Tool – to search for keywords, you can use the Bing’s Keyword Research Tool, which is integrated to Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Bing Places for Business – similar to Google My Business where you can get your business listed on Bing. You should use this to optimize your business in Bing search engine and Bing Maps.
How to Optimize Your Website for Windows 10 and Bing
Optimizing your website in Bing is similar to Google. However, there are some differences you need to know:
Keywords – Google is more efficient in understanding synonyms and context of a keyword than Bing. Therefore, you need to use exact keywords when optimizing for Bing.
Authority – for Bing, domain age is a crucial ranking factor and it prefers .gov and .edu domains. On the other hand, Google focuses on the quality of links to determine the authority of a domain.
Mobile Algorithm – Google launched their mobile-friendly search algorithm on April 21. Bing will follow next and will launch its own mobile update. However, it is still unclear when.
App Indexing – Google already has its deep links indexing for Android application in June 2014 and has also introduced app indexing for iOS. On the other hand, Bing is currently developing its own index for mobile app content. Bing will also support app indexing for Windows 10.
If you are already running Windows 7 or 8, then Microsoft is offering a free Windows 10 upgrade. You probably have noticed a small icon that pops up on your taskbar notifying for a free Windows 10 upgrade where you enter your email address for reservation. This is the first time Microsoft offers this free update. Our thoughts are, the main reason is the new built-in search box. By simply integrating their own Bing search box on the taskbar, they thought of a better way of cutting in to Google’s search engine market share. With this feature, it will really increase their market share even more. This is also a heads up to SEO experts to start giving more consideration in our SEO strategies for Bing. So as you move forward with your marketing, don’t hesitate to call Majesty Marketing Solutions so you also stay on the cutting edge and gain or maintain your edge on he competition.